Huntsville Child Custody and Support Modifications Attorney

Keeping your arrangements workable when circumstances change

Divorce seems so final. You are no longer married and your life is vastly different from when you were married. Just as your married life may have changed over time, so may your post-divorce situation. As things change, you can count on the family law attorney, Rebekah McKinney, of Watson McKinney, LLP to create new plans that better meet your needs.

Modifying child custody and child support in Huntsville, Decatur and throughout North Alabama

Children’s needs change over time. Perhaps a parent moves to a better (or worse) school district, or one of the parents remarries and the child and the new spouse do not get along. It might be time to revisit the original child custody agreements. Reasons for changing child custody may include:

- A parent who moves out of the area for work
- Concern about the other parent’s ability to care for the child
- A child’s issues in school or the neighborhood
- Medical reasons – such as an asthmatic child moving from a smoking to a non-smoking parent

Changing financial situation for Mom or Dad

Likewise, a parent’s financial situation may change in a major way, it may warrant a modification to child support. Keep in mind however, that the state still relies on the same kinds of calculations in modifications (such as ability for each party to contribute) as it did in your original decree. Parents may request modification for a variety of reasons, such as:

- Obtaining a new, better-paid job
- Losing a job
- Remarrying
- Retiring
- An illness or injury that impacts the ability to work

Substantive financial changes can impact a parent’s ability to pay child support.  Under such circumstances, is possible to modify child custody and child support agreements.

North Alabama family lawyers explain spousal support modifications

When you divorce your spousal support agreement reflect your and your spouse’s ability to support yourself.  Your original decree either reflects your negotiated agreement or a plan decided by an Alabama court. Either way, if your situation changes through a new job, a lost job, a retirement, or an illness or injury, it may be in your best interest to modify your spousal, and/or, child support. At Watson McKinney, LLP we guide you through the financial paperwork and planning and advocate on your behalf, whether you are requesting or fighting against a change.

If your circumstances have changed, contact our modification attorney today

When you need to make modifications to an existing order, contact us at 800-294-5112 or online. Even if a different attorney (or no attorney) handled your divorce, we are happy to discuss your current situation. We handle family law matters for clients throughout North Alabama, including Huntsville, Madison, Decatur, Athens, Scottsboro, Guntersville, and surrounding areas.


Our office is located in the Regions Building in Downtown Huntsville, Alabama.


Visit our office in Huntsville, call our office at









Contact our Huntsville, Alabama law office by filling our form to the right or call 800.294.5112 to set up a free consultation to discuss your legal options.







200 Clinton Ave W, #110

Huntsville, Alabama 35801-4810


Phone: 256-536-7423 | Toll Free: 800-294-5112

Fax: 256-536-2689

No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.



We serve the following localities: Jefferson County, Limestone County, Athens, Elkmont, Madison, Madison County, Gurley, Harvest, Hazel Green, Huntsville, New Market, Toney, Morgan County, Decatur, Hartselle, Shelby County, and Birmingham.




Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Site Map